Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Strange Situation

I took Riley to Withrow Park yesterday.  It is much bigger and busier than our little neighbourhood park around the corner from our house.  Three little four year olds from the parks camp took an immediate liking to Riley,a little boy and twin girls.  They all wanted to push Riley on the swing and enjoyed her gleeful giggles as she swung back and forth.  The girls were very gentle, barely moving the swing, but the little boy was just a wee bit aggressive.  When he wasn't shoving the swing with one hand, making it twist in all directions, he was grabbing at her hands and trying to touch her face.  The camp councillors were on the other side of the park not paying attention to the kids on the swings.  I found myself in a strange situation.

It is not my place to discipline and correct a child's behavior that I just met five minutes ago.  I wouldn't want some stranger telling my kid how to behave.  But no matter how many times I asked him not to touch the babies face, or that Riley did not like having her hands grabbed, this little boy kept going back for more.

I finally had to take her off the swing and take her over to the wading pool, where I knew the camp kids were not allowed to go, just to escape this little boy.

I think I will wait a little while before returning to Withrow Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment